Wednesday, September 9, 2015

No Ordin'ry Day


What I want to remember about today is that on my way to the garden centre for firewood and kindling...


 ...I was required to stop at the Mount Pleasant Farm intersection, where all roads were closed to traffic, and people were standing on the verges...


Because, lo and behold, the Tour de (okay, of) Britain was passing through.  And suddenly a mundane errand became a festive event, as I watched the cyclists whiz by.


But this wasn't the only festive event today in my neighborhood.  As it happens, a couple of hours from now, Queen Elizabeth will become the longest-reigning monarch in British history.  And she chose to celebrate in my own back yard (more or less), taking a ride on (and officially opening) the brand-new Borders Railway.


Click here if you'd like to see some photos and a video (there are Men in Kilts, if you fancy such things).

Meanwhile...in slightly humbler and more personal transportation news, these arrived today:


The mister and I have got some studying to do.


(Full disclosure:  I took all of the photos except the last one three years ago in England, during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.  It was loads of fun to have an excuse to take a trip down Memory Lane!)



4 comments:

  1. When I heard on the news yesterday where the Queen was going to be I did wonder if you were near so you could pop along an give her a wave!
    Good luck with the revision.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless our Queen!

    Have you to take a British driving test? Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the photo of that woman in her Union Jack skirt and hat! Simply delightful, and what a treat to have a peek at the decorations all along the celebratory drive route!! Now, I'm dreaming of taking a ride on the brand new Borders Railway! xo

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, and welcome! I know that with the proliferation of social media, it's not like the olden days of blogging, when we all spent loads of time hanging out in each other's comment boxes. And I know it's a drag to type anything more than a quick sentence on a smart phone. So THANK YOU for taking the time to say something here (and for visiting in the first place). I will always respond to you directly via email, if you supply an address.