Monday, July 13, 2015

Catching Up


1.  I made several happy excursions (between rains) last week to gather bits of wild plants for medicine-making (here are some especially cheery mulleins growing along a stone wall at one of my favorite old churches).

2.  At the end of one evening walk, I paused in my garden and suddenly heard scuffling noises.  "Ah," I thought, "wouldn't it be the best ever if a hedgehog lived in my garden?"


Wish: granted!

3.  And then I spent a couple of days hunkered down at the computer, planning a wee getaway to the Isle of Skye for when my parents-in-law are here in August (beside myself with excitement!).

4.  On Saturday, I hiked my usual Coldstream-to-Lennel route and marveled at the variety of flora along the Nuns' Walk.  I saw, among other things, rosebay willowherb (fireweed to you North Americans)...


...butterfly bush...


...and the ubiquitous red valerian.


I also saw my favorite cows, who seemed a bit disappointed that I hadn't brought treats.


[Side note:  it's great to take photos, because you see things that you missed the first time around (especially if you weren't wearing your reading specs).  For example, a tiny snail on the hedge woundwort...


...and at least three heart-shaped rocks at the edge of the Tweed.]


5.  Last evening we drove to Paxton House, where I admired the herbaceous borders while others frolicked on the playground.


(I really think that red dianthus next to lady's mantle is the way to go, don't you?)


And confident that my companions were having a great time playing zip-line tag, I wandered through the woodland garden...




...and into the deep woods.


(Here's hoping that this sylvan picture brings a bit of cooling relief to those of you who are melting in those 100-degree temps.  Be careful out there!)



4 comments:

  1. Oh, what wondrous sights you're seeing! Thanks for catching us up!! I never was able to spot the snail, though….

    ReplyDelete
  2. such lovely walks x hello cows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a hedgehog!
    Love that last photo.
    The zip wire sounds like it's very popular.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous walk, thanks for putting the names of the flowers with the pictures - makes it easier for me to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, and welcome! I know that with the proliferation of social media, it's not like the olden days of blogging, when we all spent loads of time hanging out in each other's comment boxes. And I know it's a drag to type anything more than a quick sentence on a smart phone. So THANK YOU for taking the time to say something here (and for visiting in the first place). I will always respond to you directly via email, if you supply an address.