Thursday, February 19, 2015

Paxton


As promised, I visited Paxton House yesterday.


It has a fab adventure playground (can't wait to try the zip wire).


 And a really lovely river walk, featuring catkins (is this hazel?)(isn't "catkin" a great word?)...


courtesy elements (as a keen walker who spends a lot of time getting muddy and wet, it's wonderful when I don't have to look down all the time)...



lichen...

And, at the end of the path, probably the most terrifying bridge the world has ever known.



(Aside from those rope contraptions in South America, maybe.)



I took a few tentative steps onto the pedestrian portion of the bridge, and held my breath as a car (ONE car only -- the next one waited its turn) slowly made its way across.  There were several ker-thumps, and the bridge continued to bob gently for a minute or two after the car had crossed.

(Have I ever mentioned being phobic about rickety bridges?  Not to mention rickety 200-year-old ones?)



Eventually I made my way back to Paxton, although I managed to take the long, wide-arc way back (as seems to be my custom).  In fact, I traveled from optimistic ("I bet I'll make it back to the tea room for a nice soup-and-scone lunch!") to grimly determined ("I just know I can get there in time to scoff a scone") to breathlessly frantic (fumbling to open a rusty gate so that I could sprint across a pasture to the parking lot and race home to deliver the car to him who needed it).

But the detour was worth the exertion, because it allowed me to happen onto something magical...



But that's a story for another day.

 
(The Union Bridge was built in 1820, and it made life a whole lot easier for folks needing to cross the Tweed between England and Scotland.  At the time, it was the longest iron suspension bridge in the world; today, it's the oldest suspension bridge still carrying traffic.)

5 comments:

  1. Lynn thank you for sharing yourself in this way. Such delight so see through your camera and be transported through your words. A true and needed lift for my morning. Love you and miss you my dear. Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such an historic bridge so close by! And honestly, I'm amazed that you went anywhere near it, knowing as I do about your bridge nightmares…!

    And yes, "catkin" is an awesome word. I think I'll keep it in mind if I ever need to name another cat (oh, please, no).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, weren't you brave driving over that? I would choose to go the long way, bridges in general unnerve me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a braver woman than me I can tell you that. Looking forward to the next instalment of this trip though.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I've been on that zipwire, it's a good one x

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, and welcome! I know that with the proliferation of social media, it's not like the olden days of blogging, when we all spent loads of time hanging out in each other's comment boxes. And I know it's a drag to type anything more than a quick sentence on a smart phone. So THANK YOU for taking the time to say something here (and for visiting in the first place). I will always respond to you directly via email, if you supply an address.