Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Snow = Birds


Snow is pretty unpopular here in central Missouri. It can make mobility difficult, whether by car or by foot. (The Amish, however, seem completely immune to its effects as they glide by in their buggies.) 


But, if you're lucky enough not to have to go anywhere, it's a great opportunity to witness the bird extravaganza that ensues, especially if you put out lots of bird food, as we do. 


(Technically, we ran out of bird food just before the snow hit, prompting us to sacrifice some of our own groceries to stay in the birds' good graces. We've all seen the Hitchcock movie….)



Another lovely byproduct of a substantial snowfall is that it seems to bring people together. Even folks who don't normally have a lot in common will band together and lend each other a helping hand.


 I love the snow, especially if I have the good fortune not to have to drive in it. There's a quietude that befalls the countryside, and a sense that time has paused. 


It's a valid excuse not to go anywhere or do much of anything.


And if we get enough snow, it cloaks the piles of "to-dos"  and landscape transgressions that abound in the garden and all around the outdoors, inviting me to feel a little more serene than when I'm constantly seeing tasks I could be doing – or should have already done.



 The best part about snow is that if it wears out its welcome, it usually goes away all by itself. Eventually.





5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, I wish I knew more of the bird names, I only know the Cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I wish I did, too. I look them up perennially and promptly forget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I am LOVING that you have a snazzy new camera -- and the brains to use it well. These stunning photies (and your lyrical text) make me *almost* wish I could be there. (P.S. Every time I see something red at the side of the road, I do a double-take, thinking it might be a cardinal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the snazzy new camera is doing all the stunning work – and it's so advanced I don't need any brains to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contrast of the bright birds against the white of the snow.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, and welcome! I know that with the proliferation of social media, it's not like the olden days of blogging, when we all spent loads of time hanging out in each other's comment boxes. And I know it's a drag to type anything more than a quick sentence on a smart phone. So THANK YOU for taking the time to say something here (and for visiting in the first place). I will always respond to you directly via email, if you supply an address.