Thursday, June 18, 2015

And Now for Something Completely Different

In lieu of my usual frogs, turtles, butterflies, and flowers, I thought I would go to the polar opposite end of the spectrum with a glimpse into my other life. In fact, these may be my first-ever indoor photos posted here!

Last week I helped teach bass guitar at our local Girls Rock! camp. During the week of camp, 26 girls between the ages of 11 and 17 learn to play an instrument, work together in a band, and write a song that they then perform at the premier local music venue at the end of the week. This is my second year to teach bass and I'm always amazed at how quickly these kids learn to play their instruments and how inventive their songs are. 

I brought my camera along for the showcase, so thought I'd share a few shots since I haven't photographed much else lately! (Technically, a few were taken by my better half while I was on stage being bass tech…!)


Souncheck (I believe one of the workshops involved making those lovely paper flowers)

Backstage warning

In the green room

Soundcheck from stage

Attendees file in while photos from camp week are displayed on the screen

One of the bands rocking out

Me doing my bass tech thing!

Campers and volunteers singing the camp song at the end




By the way, these camps are all over the US (maybe beyond?) and are not only about music but also about encouraging and empowering young women and offering them a safe, supportive environment to express themselves creatively. Many campers return multiple times and encourage their friends to attend because it's so much fun! If you know of a gal who might benefit from such a camp, be sure to see if one is offered in your area!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did this again, and what a beautiful venue this time 'round! And you look stunning in that bass tech photo. Stunning, I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, they're not exactly beating around the bush about the up-in-the-rafters danger factor, are they? Heh.

      Delete
    2. You are too kind about the stunning! Stage lights can be very complimentary…! <:-)

      Delete
    3. You know, that was only for the staircase down to the green room! Not even that deathly! But when you consider the usual types milling about backstage and their general mental acuity or lack thereof, it's easy to see why explicit brevity might be warranted.

      Delete
    4. P.S. I find it funny that I usually reply to comments via email, but for some reason I'm having a conversation with YOU right here. Bonus material!

      Delete
  2. I would love to make some of those flowers.
    How wonderful to be part of something like this, giving inspiration to the next generation.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, and welcome! I know that with the proliferation of social media, it's not like the olden days of blogging, when we all spent loads of time hanging out in each other's comment boxes. And I know it's a drag to type anything more than a quick sentence on a smart phone. So THANK YOU for taking the time to say something here (and for visiting in the first place). I will always respond to you directly via email, if you supply an address.