Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Three Miles a Day


Last week, I (belatedly) saw Country Walking magazine's challenge to its readers to walk 1,000 miles in 2015, and quickly calculated that if I were to walk at least three miles nearly every day for the rest of the year, I could make it happen.  I love to hike this beautiful countryside, but without a goal I tend to be erratic and sporadic (when I'd rather be epic, say, or euphoric).


So on Saturday evening I kicked off my official program with a four-and-a-half-mile jaunt in and around Coldstream.  My aim was to explore the first few miles of the ten-mile path to Norham, it being another goal of mine to hike that stretch all in one go one of these days.

But something went awry, and I found myself following a tire track to nowhere, through an endless field of barley.



(Note to self:  get a good map before charging off on an all-day walk.)


On Sunday afternoon, I headed to Norham -- not to walk the ten miles to Coldstream, mind, but to do a familiar three-mile circular route that I knew I could accomplish quickly enough to get the car home for the Man of Meetings.

The Tweed was sparkling in the sunshine...


The hawthorns were in full bloom...


And I paid for my haste by stepping into a hole and twisting my ankle.  Fortunately, after I did a bit of hands-on healing and squished a comfrey leaf in my sock, I was almost as good as new, and able to stride onward.


(Are you concerned that I recklessly depleted southern Scotland's supply of comfrey leaves?  Please don't be; there are large, robust plants as far as the eye can see.)


Yesterday's walk was actually a handful of sprints, in conjunction with a trip to Berwick to purchase laundry detergent and tortilla chips.  It seemed like a good idea to stop en route to enjoy a pastoral scene I'd only glimpsed from the car...


But it soon became clear that it was a poopy obstacle course full of folk (the poop-makers, in fact) who were none too pleased to have my company.


So I continued on to Berwick, dividing my time among the town centre, the riverside and the beach.  My camera battery gave up the ghost after just a few photos, but I do have this to offer (please note the awkwardness of the waste-removal truck driver catching me taking a selfie):


And that brings us to today, when the camera battery remained uncharged but I did indeed get in my three miles.  Another river walk -- from Ladykirk almost to Milne Graden House -- with swans, ducks, a grey heron, fishing bothies, wildflowers (red campion, forget-me-nots, and the ever-present comfrey) and, of course, sheep.

Back tomorrow with more adventures...




5 comments:

  1. From what I can tell from these (incredibly gorgeous) photos is that the sun shines pretty much constantly there. I think the talk of cold, clouds, and rain must be highly exaggerated…! >;-D I laughed and laughed at the truck driver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful countryside you have all around you.
    I do like that lampshade in the window of your selfie!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now, you have just educated me - I had no idea what Comfrey looked like so I Googled and now I know, it is not a small plant is it?

    Did the driver laugh at you or was he just bemused?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Envious of your comfrey!!! Your walks look like a dream so I don't think it will be hard get in your 1,000 miles. Hardily cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, and welcome! I know that with the proliferation of social media, it's not like the olden days of blogging, when we all spent loads of time hanging out in each other's comment boxes. And I know it's a drag to type anything more than a quick sentence on a smart phone. So THANK YOU for taking the time to say something here (and for visiting in the first place). I will always respond to you directly via email, if you supply an address.