Monday, June 22, 2015

Solstice


While the papa and the teen were at work, I assembled a Father's Day bouquet...



A card was made...



And we lit a fire, not only to celebrate the sun but also to make a chilly house more comfortable.

Later, after some discussion about what the bakers would concoct for our special dinner dessert, the junior baker and I dashed to the Co-op for provisions while the senior baker (who is recovering from a cold) had a wee nap.  And then I left them to their culinary merriment and had a low-key amble around Norham.



Very pleased to see my first corn poppies (castle ruins in the background)...



And a regular swan convention (here's a glimpse of some of the participants, framed by comfrey).



I concluded my walk at the churchyard, to gather fallen rugosa rose petals and to see if the linden trees were abloom yet (they weren't).

And then I returned home to find this:


A lemon meringue pie for them, and black pepper shortbread for me.  Oh, but they weren't quite finished...



Is that a work of art, or what?

(It's possible that I might have eaten an embarrassing amount of that shortbread and gotten a tummy ache.  But it was phenomenal.  And so simple.  Rice flour, cornflour, sugar, butter and black pepper.  Adorned with a tiny spun sugar star.  Because no master chef worthy of the title would neglect presentation!)


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful artwork on the Father's day card.
    I'm in awe of the lemon meringue pie, it certainly is worthy of the Masterchef title!
    Have the chefs considered making lavender shortbread I wonder, your black pepper one sounds very nice too?
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I didn't see this when I posted about toad! Will have to revisit when I can see the photos larger than phone size!! (Everything looks amazing even in diminutive format!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you the lucky one? I love the image of the fire, wish I could light one here.

    In picture number six, is that Valerian growing on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even more spectacular in large format! <:-D

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, and welcome! I know that with the proliferation of social media, it's not like the olden days of blogging, when we all spent loads of time hanging out in each other's comment boxes. And I know it's a drag to type anything more than a quick sentence on a smart phone. So THANK YOU for taking the time to say something here (and for visiting in the first place). I will always respond to you directly via email, if you supply an address.